ARC Reports Passenger Airline Trips Increase 3.3% Year-Over-Year
Airline Ticket Sales Also Increase by 3.2%
Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) reported today that the average U.S. roundtrip ticket price* for June 2017 was $503, down from $506 in May. Average ticket prices are up approximately $6 compared to June 2016.
The consolidated dollar value of airline tickets sold by U.S.-based travel agencies increased nearly 3.2 percent in June as compared to June 2016, totaling $7.6 billion vs. $7.4 billion. The number of passenger trips* settled by ARC for U.S. travel agencies also increased approximately 3.3 percent to 22,263,947 compared to nearly 21,562,558 in June 2016.
Electronic Miscellaneous Document (EMD)** sales comprised nearly $6.2 million, a 75 percent increase over 2016. EMD transactions increased 83 percent to 88,519 in June 2017 vs. nearly 48,504 in 2016.
More detailed information is available at https://www.arccorp.com/data.jsp.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending June 30, 2017, from 12,265 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- Average ticket price (in USD) for a roundtrip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using either direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked luggage, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
Categories: Travel Trends